Send us e-mails! upsna@up.edu

New and Old board meeting Monday 1130-1330 Murphy Conference Room 4th floor of Franz Hall.


Monday, December 29, 2008

Message from Dean Warner

Dean Warner has asked me to post this message to the nursing school here on the blog in hopes we can improve our communications. Please leave comments on the blog, by pushing comment on the bottom of this entry, to thank Dean Warner or offer up any further suggestions. --Thanks UPSNA


For the UPSNA blog:
Greetings to each of you as we anticipate the start of Spring 2009. For some of you this is your final semester, for others one more step along the way, but for all I hope it is a great learning about nursing, health and yourself.

I have enjoyed several opportunities for student conversations near the end of fall semester - when individual students came to my office, a dean's forum I held where about 7-8 students came, and a forum advertised vigorously by UPSNA that yielded about 30+. Thank you for taking time to provide input into our program. To close the communication loop, I want to share information on what I've done with what I heard and ask for a few next steps with you.

Attitude and culture: Faculty held a forum discussing teaching strategies and ways to improve our learning outcomes. This was already planned before my forum with you, but I saw it as an opportune time to share your concerns about the learning environment with large classes and the desire for passion for learning rather than intimidation. It was a great conversation that included your feedback. We have another session scheduled in January with two experts from the School of Education that will continue working with us as we...just like you....continue growing as competent professionals.

Communication: This posting on your UPSNA site is an experiment away from email - the venue that you said doesn't work any more. The Dean's Council (deans of all UP schools) is working with IS demoing twitters, chats, and other instant or contemporary venues. We want to change with the times, and I'm thinking about how we communicate with one another.

ATI concerns are being discussed by faculty in an upcoming meeting. The idea of an academic review board is on the Executive Committee agenda. We are considering and reconsidering OPT, looking for ways for you to understand that it is a process of thinking that permeates our discipline, not a form for paperwork. Our intent is to have greater clarity so that it isn't about lack of consistency but rather about how to internalize a way of thinking that directs our practice. We hear your concerns and have already had a vigorous conversation about this.

Please know you were heard. These steps and more were taken (and some were already planned before our forum). "Continuous quality improvement" is always happening here and the faculty and staff do more than is visible to you all so they stay current and excellent in their work.

My request: I was honored during the last forums to primarily listen. Sincere listening is a profound gift to give others and taking action based on the listening elevates the message even more. Know this has happened. I want another forum (or more) whereby I can share some of my perspective and can help you shape your role in culture formation and perception. We are all co-creators of our environment, and I want you to fully realize your power in a learning/work environment. I will work with the UPSNA Board to make this happen and look forward to your participation.

Cheering for you to have a stunning semester of learning and growth - Dr. Warner

1 comment:

Anasofia said...

Thank you Dean Warner for taking the time to listen to our concerns and for taking action. I appreciate your message and it gives me hope for the future. UPSNA looks forward to working with you next semester.

And I do like seeing the blog being used as opposed to email. Happy New Year everyone!